You are here : Site en angais > F.A.Q

Frequently asked questions

Writing your thesis in English?

The thesis must a priori be written in French (article 121-3 of the Code de l'Education), but exceptions are possible, for example if a rapporteur is not French-speaking. An extended summary (cf. Internal Regulations) must however be provided at the same time as the manuscript.

How to validate the choice of a training module, seminar or scientific course ?

The transverse training modules of the University of Lyon are systematically accepted.
For scientific modules, engineering/master level courses in teaching structures attached to the ED laboratories are systematically accepted, as well as all master level courses in the disciplines of the MATERIAUX ED given by other universities/schools. Courses in the disciplines of the ED offered during summer schools, thematic schools, etc. are also accepted.  For other disciplines, it is recommended to contact the ED secretariat specifying the content of the module as well as the hourly volume (send the programme). The content will be validated (or not) by the director of the ED.

I am doing a thesis outside Lyon, how can I follow the training modules ?

On the one hand, the UdL organises distance learning modules. On the other hand, for doctoral students who are not located in Lyon, any equivalent training offered by a university can be followed. Contact the ED secretariat to validate the training.

Is it possible to have a gap year during the thesis ?

In accordance with the texts in force, it is possible to interrupt the preparation of a thesis for one year (gap year). The request will be studied by the Doctoral School Council.

The application form can be downloaded here. [DOC - 516 Ko]